In My Opinion... | Teen Ink

In My Opinion...

December 3, 2014
By Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Have people ever assumed things about you that when you here it you think to yourself … “that doesn’t even sound right.”? Or when people don’t like you and don’t even know you? Or those people who barley know you and say that they don’t like your personality? Or what about people talking bad about you and you’ve never even met or spoken to each other? Yea. I go through that multiple times a year, every year. It makes no sense to me honestly.

 

Nobody’s innocent I can’t say I haven’t looked at someone and thought something negative about them just based on their actions. But I’ve never been the one to base my opinion on someone through what I “heard” about them. Everybody comes from different back rounds and experiences. Everybody has different personalities and certain things that make them who they are. I honestly feel like nobody should be judged or have people assuming anything based on what they heard about them because sometimes people make mistakes and those mistakes don’t define them. For example a lot of people say I look very mean. They say I always look mad or annoyed, so a lot of people don’t try to get to know me off the bat because they don’t want me to snap on them or anything. But really I’m not that’s just my face; I’m actually a very nice person until you start pushing my buttons. A lot of people after getting to know me tell me that they didn’t want to get to know me because I looked mean. And that I’m actually pretty cool once you GET TO KNOW ME. See, peoples problems are that they are so quick to assume and they don’t actually know. Another example would be how when me and my so-called best friend stopped being friends at the end of 9th grade year, she stared all these rumors about me. She said all sorts of mean things. She told people I was fake and that I talked bad about everyone and that I slept with all these guys. This caused me to come back to school for my sophomore year practically alone for a long time. Only people, who really knew me, knew better then to believe those rumors. These rumors caused me to start getting bullied and ruined my reputation with a lot of people. Even though I was alone and disgusted in the fact all these people who said they were my friends could ever believe such lies, I walked by myself faithfully. And I always kept my head up. I never begged anyone to talk to me or be my friend. I have too much pride to ever let someone else’s opinion of me ever bring me down. I worked hard to get where I was and I wasn’t going to let anyone make me look dumb. I had to be more mature then them. This also caused me not to trust as easily because if she was my best friend and one fight brought that out of her then maybe I need to be more cautious with who I make my friends.


Eventually people came back around and I made new friends so it didn’t affect me for long. But I taught me a huge lesson to never judge anyone without knowing them or their situation. I don’t care what I heard about you or what you’ve done, if you’re cool then I don’t have any problems with you. I think that maybe more people should hop on that train too because a lot of unnecessary drama and bullying would stop. But that’s just in my opinion …