The Power to Stop War | Teen Ink

The Power to Stop War

October 24, 2014
By Kristal Navarro BRONZE, Indio, California
Kristal Navarro BRONZE, Indio, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As a young teenager, I have heard of wars happening all the time. A few years ago, I remember hearing about soldiers coming back to their homes after many years of service at war in Iraq or Afghanistan. For me, it was a dreadful idea to think of someone being in war for various years and not be able to see their family. If I had the power to stop wars, I would use words to stop them.


If I had the power to stop the worst thing in the world it would be the power to stop wars. I would start out by learning what each side of the conflict wanted and I would try to work the problem out between them. I would help by talking and setting up meetings to make sure each side had a chance to explain why they wanted that thing or why they were right about that thought. In other words, I would be helping them by using words, not wars.


If the 2 countries or sides of the conflict got to an agreement, then they should hopefully be at peace. If they weren't able to solve the problem, then they could possibly forget about the treaty and just keep on being friendly countries. They could try various other methods to stay in peace such as working other problems out and keep on ,possibly, discussing the problem. They might not be as united, but at least they could be friendly. If the problem is too big to forget and the 2 countries did not come to an accordance, then I will again interfere until everyone is glad about what was settled.


To me the worst thing in the world is to know that humans are killing each other to show which country of what person is stronger, better, or right, about things. I would solve the problems by talking to the people. I would make them understand that they can use words to communicate. Discommunication causes many fights and conflicts. If you talk to the person you don’t agree with, then you would hear what they have to say and you could understand them better. If you don’t agree with a written treaty, then why not try to work things out verbally and not by sending other people's family members to fight and most likely die.


I don’t like to hear about wars and how people die because someone else killed them. If the presidents or kings from both sides would have communicated with each other, then possibly that death and many other injuries could have been prevented. I would prove my country is right by using words as proof. The presidents or kings should agree to the different ways of thinking. Many leaders should memorize the  saying, “Agree to disagree.” My major question is why can’t everyone be friendly to each other and just agree to things or disagree without major fights and wars. If they don’t agree, then why not just leave that subject alone and not talk about it again.
If I had the power to stop the worst thing in the world, it would be the power to stop wars and major conflicts. I appreciate the people that do go out and serve their country knowing that they might die or be gravely injured. I would be the kind of fighter that would like to raise awareness of how many families lose a member to a war that could have been solved with words. For me the worst thing in the world is war and I would solve it with words.


The author's comments:

I hope people understand that it is always better to solve problems using words in an understanding way and not in an angry matter. I hope people will stop having major conflicts that hurt them and others.