The Dark Side of Safety | Teen Ink

The Dark Side of Safety

October 23, 2014
By Gillian Maier BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Gillian Maier BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There is an exceptionally fine line between just and unjust when an individual becomes a police officer. This job demands decisions to be made quickly, but also accurately. These requirements were prevalent on September 4th, 2014 in South Carolina when 31-year old officer Sean Groubert pulled over Levar Edward Jones at a gas station. Similar to any other day, the officer requested the driver to get his license, registration and insurance out. However at this time, the accuser, Jones, was already out of his car. Therefore in order to achieve the police officers orders, he had to reach inside of his car. However as he entered his vehicle, the officer opened his fire and shot three times. Within seconds, the bullet reached Jones causing him to immediately be sent to an Emergency Center.


       In this situation, Officer Sean Groubert made the worst mistake any police officer could. He reacted hastily and with minimal thought. From this story it is exposed how Jones was simply following orders, and did not show any signs of defensiveness. According to The Huffington post, complaints have been stated that, “Officer Groubert did without justification unlawfully shooting Levar Jones.” Numerous individuals believe that the officer ultimately had no reason of shooting this man. As a police officer, his job entails him to be under immense pressure having to deal with the burden of protecting civilians. However, this does not mean that he could have made such an imprecise decision. Directly after this event, Officer Groubert pleaded non guilty in court. He was later charged with assault, which resulted in prison for twenty years, and was also threatened with losing his position in the police force. Although harsh punishments were specified, no real penalty can compare to the impairment that he caused to Jones’ life.


      Moreover, this issue has occurred in the past and will endure unless actions are attained. Judging from the fact that only four years ago, a similar event occurred when Officer Jimmy Drummond brutally attacked a family, it is exposed how changes have still not been established. Similar to Officer Groubert, this officer reacted surprisingly and preformed an action that was both prohibited and unjust. All things considered, to alter this problem for the future, the police need to learn to make evaluations on what is morally correct, rather than what they feel is appropriate. One way this can be done is by a stricter education when they become a police officer. Additionally, to prevent this issue for the future, all mistakes should be judged harsher and with severe repercussions. All in all, although the world has transformed and is changing, there are some areas that remain in the past. It is pivotal that a change is reestablished, so complications like this become non-existent for the imminent future.