Say No to Absolutes | Teen Ink

Say No to Absolutes

August 24, 2014
By linnchaplin GOLD, Fort Lee, New Jersey
linnchaplin GOLD, Fort Lee, New Jersey
10 articles 7 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. The important thing is not to stop questioning. The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education. -Einstein


There are no absolutes. Despite this fact, many of us prefer black and white statements because the wishy-washy gray zone conveys a sense of unpredictability. Even those who explore the in-between retreat to the end zones for assurance. By doing so, we overlook the importance of finding balances. And by doing so, we place benefits or faults under the microscope while failing to acknowledge other aspects of a situation. There is a cultural stigma that your indecision (which should be perceived as conscientiousness and patience) reflects your lack of self-assurance. Consequently, many of us seek absolutes which blind us from opportunities and further inflame prejudices and bigotry. All politicians are liars so none of them is trustworthy. All LGBTQ are promiscuous and lack virtues so none of them deserves respect. All African American men are prone to violence and theft so they should be frisked on a daily basis. All Asians are diffident and bookish so they cannot be professional athletes or CEO’s. We need a balance. This balance was explored in medieval literature and ancient Chinese proverbs that describe the relationship between light and darkness and between Yin and Yang. Unfortunately, the importance of balance has been diluted in an age where information deluge has prompted us to take a side and stick to it. In the words of Mark Twain, “What is joy without sorrow? What is success without failure? You have to experience each if you are to appreciate the other."


The author's comments:

This is inpsired by "The Tipping Point" (by Malcolm Gladwell) and my Buddhist upbringing.