Allow the World to Be your Runway | Teen Ink

Allow the World to Be your Runway

August 12, 2014
By DebSham SILVER, Marlton, New Jersey
DebSham SILVER, Marlton, New Jersey
8 articles 11 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are the object of your own action"- thought of this one on my own.
"Just Keep Moving Forward"- Meet the Robbinsons, my all-time favorite movie


This is just a short story and what I learned from it.

I was really bored one day and so decided to try out some makeup and a curling wand that I had bought earlier this week.

After some foundation, blush, bronzer, eyeliner, and lipstick- you know, the whole shebang (oh, and curling my hair), I was finished with my look.

I wasn't sure if I liked it, so I took a couple of photos and sent them to my friends for their opinions.

My sister then needed me to take her to Target.
My first thought was, "how can I leave the house with all of this makeup and my hair looking like I just came from a runway show (because it looked really grand)?"

This may sound crazy to some of you- but I thought it was embarrassing.
I felt like my makeup and hair were "too nice" and "too much" for a regular day.

I did go to Target with my hair all made up and my makeup still on my face, but the entire time I felt out of place (of course it's just Target- there are different kinds of people, so feeling out of place doesn't make sense) and like a try-hard.

My friends told me that they loved the look and even encouraged me to do my makeup every day. When I told one friend how I felt about wearing makeup and having my hair done, she said that it doesn't matter what others decide to look like and that I should do what's best for me.

Now, I know that I sounded like a little child, but I think this is something that a lot of people worry about: Looking acceptable and appropriate according to the world's terms.

Nowadays, people leave their houses in-literally- pajamas. Or, some people wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt while covering their faces with makeup.

Basically, I realized that I shouldn't be afraid or feel uncomfortable about being-well- classy.

It used to be that people would look presentable wherever they would go- even if they went down the street. Nowadays, not so much.

Now this is not to say that one could only look presentable while wearing makeup and having their hair done, or that one should be able to wear nothing if they are happy with that. What I am saying is that we should seize the world and make it ours.

Look good. Dress nicely. Wear something exciting. Don't be afraid to make the world your runway.

Because it is.

You just have to accept it.