Normal Abnormality | Teen Ink

Normal Abnormality

By Joey-Dreamer SILVER, Sacramento, California
Joey-Dreamer SILVER, Sacramento, California

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

Someone at school asked me why I dressed like this, what im trying to prove and why won't I just be normal.

So I simply said this: "I was "Normal" once. But your statue of expectations and requirements to "fit in" made me depressed. I hated it. I never felt good enough. So one day I just decided yo quit trying. I listened to the music I wanted to listen to. I dressed the way I thought looked good. I talk and act how I feel is appropriate. I don't have to try and be anything im not to live up to what society and its stupid population think I should be. I don't feel compelled to buy certain things or listen to certain music. What YOU call normal, I call fake. Because normality is fake. Nobody is truly "normal". And you know what? I may be different than you. I may not look like you or dress like you. But I've never been happier in my life. And im never going back to what you call "normal". Because THAT, is what I as a person chose to do."

She was speechless for a second, then just mean mugged me and walked back to her group of friends.

Not everyone who is different, is DIFFERENT.

on Sep. 21 2014 at 6:50 pm

Yeah its tough at first. Because it feels like you will never be accepted. But going through life and all its challenges, you see that in the end being yourself and letting no one else define how you act and/or dress is always worth it. Lifes so much better when you're YOU(:

on Sep. 21 2014 at 1:11 pm
fantasydreamer13 SILVER, Sacramento, California
I admire your strength, because I'm still dealing with self image and being different. I feel as if sometimes I have to dress and do what most people would like to even be considered as normal. So thanks for letting me know you can get through it.