"Illegal" Immigrants? | Teen Ink

"Illegal" Immigrants?

In our country we have the problem of illegal immigration. There are millions of immigrants, mainly from Mexico, living here in the states illegally. Some are offended by this and demand a change. Can a significant change be made? Others even ask if it is a problem in the first place.

There could be many repercussions of trying to stop the immigration problem. Also would the cost of building a securer border outweigh the gain of keeping out illegal immigrants from Mexico? If we decide to check people who we believe to be here illegally could it cause discrimination problems? Are these things we really need to bring to the front page of the News? Imagine the reaction if we had headlines such as “MEXICAN-AMERICANS FEEL DESCRIMNIATION FROM POLICE” or “NEW BORDER PUTS U.S. INTO FURTHER DEBT”.

To go along with avoiding the negatives of trying to increase the enforcement of immigration there are also benefits of decreasing the enforcement of immigration laws. These people living here illegally will work for very low pay. This can help their employers cut costs and save more money. This could lead to expansion of the company and positively contributes to the US economy. Also they will do the jobs that most Americans don’t want to do. The dirty, nitty-gritty, back breaking types of the jobs. This now fills those previously vacant jobs. Again they would be making a positive contribution to our economy.