One Nation Under God?

By , haverhill, MA
It’s difficult to go out, to turn on the news. It hurts me to listen to explicit music blaring from speakers where children can hear, and to see parents nonchalantly ignore lyrics proclaiming things about magic and pants in the same sentence. Atrocities like school shootings and murders tug at my chest, provoking a sense of helplessness and a small awakening to the measure of our depravity. One thing, though, that tears me apart more than anything else is religion.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and far be it from me to pass judgment on anyone else; me, with all of my flaws. I’m just sad that Muslim women proudly drape their hijabs over their hair, schools, unabashed, preach evolution with fiery zeal as from a pulpit, yet in our Christian nation Christians are themselves being persecuted. Let’s not go into the long, bloody Christian history that won’t bear close inspection—every religion endures the responsibility for some misguided and terrible deed. Muslims have their jihad, Atheists their Holocaust, and Christians their Crusades.

Yet I wish we’d drop the Christian from our nation. Because in a land where you’re judged for believing that Jesus Christ is Savior is not a Christian land, and I don’t think it’s fair for the numerous religious groups practicing here in America. We place a label on ourselves that is not only no longer appropriate, but ridiculous.

I remember, as a child, having a very outward faith, but that was soon quenched by the fires of stares and odd questions. I wasn’t allowed to silently pray in peace, though I wasn’t bothering anyone. My friend wasn’t allowed to bring his Bible to school, but others brought their religious books. I had evolution forced down my throat. My sister got in trouble for giving a pamphlet on Christianity to a friend who’d asked; the principal spoke to my sister sternly. We have Gay/Straight Alliance…can’t we have a Christian/Atheist/Muslim/Buddhist/Taoist/Quaker Alliance? (Sorry if I missed your respective religion.)

This is a serious issue that we can no longer ignore. I hope that, in time, more people will see the pressing urgency that’s required in this situation.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 10 at 11:04 pm:
Amen! Lol. But no, seriously, I agree with you 100%!