"That's so NOT Gay!" | Teen Ink

"That's so NOT Gay!"

July 13, 2012
By Amanda Hulbert BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
Amanda Hulbert BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When I walk around my school and actually listen to what students say when walking from class to class, I realize that the majority of students use the hurtful comment, " That's so gay!" Honestly , I will admit I used to be one of these people to use this repulsive comment, but once I Truly stopped and thought about what the comment really meant, I realized that it was bashing the life style choices of others. I then thought about my family members who are gay and how they would feel if I were to say this around them. You see, my aunt is a lesbian and is married to her partner and my cousin is a bisexual girl, who would be seriously hurt if I said that around her.

So honestly, why do people think it's okay to do this? What if gay people were walking around saying, " That's so straight." or something like that, how would the straight people feel? They would probably be not as offended, but they would hopefully feel a smidge of the hurtfulness and painful feelings that come along with that.

Why, in society, can't people get along? It shouldn't matter if your gay or straight, black or white, purple or blue, people should just accept people for who they are and what they believe in, because to be honest most gay people accept straight people for who they are and what they believe in.

So after reading this, hopefully, you will realize that people are people no matter what, and if you hear someone say this I hope you will go up to them and tell them why it's wrong to say things like this. Also, if you are the type of person who says this, then please I urge you to stop and think about what your saying and how hurtful it can be to some people.


The author's comments:
I really hope my readers will take this article to heart.