Stupid Dress This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I. Hate. This. Stupid. Dress. This. Stupid. Dress. Hates. Me. Why do I have to wear a dress anyway? I don't like dresses, and I certainly don't like this one. I don't feel comfortable in a dress. My theory is if you are getting mugged and you can't kick butt without flashing a bunch of people, then it's not for me.

Yet, here I am. In a stupid dress. This stupid dress, to be exact. The dress hates me, the zipper hates me, the mirror hates me. And more importantly, I hate them. They were made to make me feel ugly and fat and not good enough. I can feel tears pricking my eyes. This dress wants me to cry. This dress wants me to hate myself.

But why? Why am I letting this dress bully me? I am the S.A.V.E. (students against bullying) president, for crying out loud! We try to prevent people from feeling this way!

You know what? This dress does not and cannot tell me what to feel. This dress does not define me; I define me. To heck with stereotypical Barbie dolls! I am not stereotypical, nor do I want to be. I am beautiful. I am perfect – the real kind of perfect. Not the fake perfect that “pretty” girls plaster on their faces every morning.

We're all perfect. We just have to believe we are. I learned this, and all it took was a stupid dress for me to figure it out. And now that I think about it, this dress doesn't seem all that stupid anymore.

GingerLily said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:05 am:
This is so true. Those Barbie dolls attract the wrong type of attention anyway. They're all the same. You've really captured that the idea of perfection depends on you see yourself, how unique you feel. This article is such an inspiration.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Perfect article on how girls deal with body issues. The important thing to remember is that you are perfect the way that you are---you've captured this fact very well. Good job!

Keli123 said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm:
i love this. its so me. ive gone through this same thing so many times with my clothes. and youre totally right about us all being beautiful. Great work :)

nutmeg212 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I will totally give you some feed back.  Odd though, it won't let me see anything that you have written.  It's like that foor everyone, so i have no idea what is going on.  But i will keep trying to look. 

Thank you for explaining the way you sae it too.  I've always been a little bit more than my share of opionated, and i guess when I'm upset at something, more than often myself, it shows.  If I ever write something else along these lines, I will consider putting it in the Opion section.  I appreciate all critiscism so thank you for your input

BrokenInnocence said...
Excuse me but while this is amazing I think your wrong on one thing. yes your perfect the way you are but when you say that pretty girls plaster pretty your wrong. Pretty is a word, an opinion, not a fact. Your pretty, and I'm pretty. different people have different opinions. In my life I'm always the "pretty" one. But I dont plaster perfect or pretty on my face. I cover myself with perfection so people dont see the problems.

nutmeg212 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm :
I understand what you are saying.  Pretty is all about your opinion and your experiences, and this was my experience.  I didn't write as a direct hit towards people who are pretty.  I wrote it to express my feelings and was referring to the idea that being pretty is everything.  I'm really sorry if you are offended and I really hope that you're not. 

ShatteredTear replied...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm :
Not offended per se. I understood what you meant I just don't think I understood the way you said it. Thank you for explaining it better. I appreciate it. Now I know that to you this was your experiance with pretty, while mine has always been the one who people claim should be a model when in reality I myself do not think so. :) thanks

Nov. 3, 2010 at 6:48 pm :
Accidentally commented this twice, but hey, i repel technology: Thank you for explaining the way you see it too.  I've always been a little bit more than my share of opionated, and i guess when I'm upset at something, more than often myself, it shows.  If I ever write something else along these lines, I will consider putting it in the Opion section.  I appreciate all critiscism so thank you for your input

ShatteredTear replied...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 6:50 pm :
Hey it's ok I'm probably the most opinionated person in the world, and tend to shove it in every one elses faces. I'm not really critisizing you, I think this rocks, just more like you said, giving my view on your piece. It really made me think. I'd love it if you would check otu some of my work

Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm :
I will, i love to look at other people's stuff.  And me to, super opinionated so thanks for your imput. :)

ShatteredTear replied...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:30 pm :
no prob tell me wht u think and ur welcome i never have any problem anyforming others of what i think. and i do to its so much fun

TeamJacobArchuleta said...
i loved ur writing technique for this! it was really great & so easy to realte to. congratulations on making it into the magazine u totally deserved to! :)

Oct. 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm :
Wow, thank you so much.  You have no idea how much it means to me that someone... like you likes what i write.  I practically devoted like weeks of my life to your stories.  (Which were amazing by the way)... So coming from you this means alot.  Check out some of my other stuff and keep me posted on what you're working on.  Glad you liked it, and thanks again!!!!

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
Oct. 5, 2010 at 3:39 pm :
no problem! your work is great & it deserves to be recognized...and i'm really glad you like my work too. thanx for reading my stories :)

CrazyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I totally agree. About hating dresses and sterotype of the modern age, Horrible this generation and the the alil bit of the next generation keep on trying to be somebody they're not. And dresses are too vunerable for me. I just dont feel comfortable.  anayway great article!

~CRaZYwRiTer

CowanQueen said...
yes I still hate dresses and for the same reason(s).. and I still do today.. they make me have this feeling like I'm gonna throw up and this feeling never goes away till' I change then I feel better. I mean I like dresses but.. not on me..

that_crazy_italian said...
I agree with you. More people need to realize that we shouldn't percieve perfection as it's defined by the media; everyone is perfect in their own unique way, and that perfection is only present because of their flaws. 

SecretNonConformist said...
Great job! So true! I've had jeans that bullied me before. Now I know which ones fit because I ditched the bullies and looked for new ones that are awesome.

xcrayolaxstormx said...
Oh, Em, Gee!!!! MAGAZINE!!!!! :O