Being Biracial This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Many people may call me weird, unique or different for the simple fact that I am biracial. Biracial issues are never discussed. I feel it is time to let people know that we exist and deserve some recognition. In my case, I am half black and half white. My mother is black, Ugandan, and Christian. My father is white, Russian, and Jewish. I know, what a mix!! Often I watch television, listen to the radio, read newspapers, books and magazines like any ordinary teen. I talk on the phone, go to the mall, and yes, go shopping. This affects me in a huge way because most singers and people and photos I see the people are white, Asian, Hispanic, or black.

I do not know many people who are biracial. Occasionally I meet a mixed guy or girl, but not as often as I'd like to. Sometimes I wonder if we look alike, the way people say we do. I know we don't, but I can't prove it. Lots of people have asked me if I am black or white. Guys have confronted me speaking Spanish. Girls ask me "Are you Dominican or Puerto Rican?" Neither, I say. That's when they walk away. Depending on where I am, who I'm with or how I feel, I have abused my race. If I'm with some black girls, I just say I am black. If a white guy comes up to me and talks about me, and asks what race I am, I'll say the human race, just mixed, or it doesn't matter. I know if I say otherwise, he'll say "Okay, see ya around."

Being biracial has its advantages: many people find us attractive, different people can relate to us and it's different. Biracial people need to be seen, heard, and respected. We do exist. Overall, half black and half white people have the same interests, dislikes and friends anyone else has. Race shouldn't matter as much as it does, but no matter what your culture, religion, or sex, being proud is cool. Just like being a teenager is! c

InvisibleNothing said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm:

I agree with having a biracial/multiracial option because most of the time you can only choose one race. I had a hard time choosing which race on my HS applications.

When I was little, I used to be confused when people ask me "What are you?" or "What color are you". I've been called Puerto Rican, Mexican, Chinese, Hawaiian, Korean, or just plain Mixed. I wish I knew more biracial people like me. I'm half black and half japanese- sometimes I feel left out 'cause I guess I'm not all the ... (more »)

InvisibleNothing replied...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:57 pm :
Idk its repeated like that...

S3V3N said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:02 am:
I totally understand what u mean. I used to go to school in milwaukee, but now i go to school in west bend. the to schools are very different. the majority in milwaukee are black and ive lived my whole life there so thats how i act. but in west bend the majority is white and everyone acts very awkward around me. some peopel have even asked if i was mexican or puerto rican. its rlly starting 2 irratate me.so when i do tell them what i am they act as if its either a good thing or a ... (more »)