Redheads | Teen Ink

Redheads MAG

Recently my red hair hasbecome very intriguing to me. Throughout my life I have been called Redand Carrot Top, along with other crude nicknames directed at my haircolor. Many people I do not know like to tell me what they think ofredheads. About a month ago I walked into a coffee shop. The man behindthe counter appeared nice enough, but just as I was leaving, he said,"Be good. I know how you redheads can be!" I smiled andexited. At first, his statement did not bother me; I brushed it off. Astime passed I began to think about the stereotypes directed at redheads.I decided to do some research. Common stereotypes claim redheads havequick tempers, are stubborn, intriguing, sultry and naughty.

Ihave learned I have to prove people wrong by being the opposite of whatthese stereotypes claim. Keep in mind stereotypes are usually not true.If you meet a redhead, you will probably realize how wrong stereotypescan be.

on Mar. 4 2012 at 9:15 am
AlwaysAntlers SILVER, Kingsport, Tennessee

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”
― Charles de Lint, (from his book,The Blue Girl)

Good job! I'm a redhead, and I'm not any of those things. Well, maybe the stubborn part. Anyways, I've always been proud of my hair color and the way it sets me apart.

FellowRedHed said...
I totally understand what you mean. i wave red hair and poeple are either assuming that i'm stubborn and stuck up or that i'm a total nerd. I used to want to dye my hair brown but now i have decided that i love my hair color no matter what and i'm determined to be a living contradiction of all redhead steryotypes.