High School This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Jock. Slut. Band geek. Emo. Nerd. Stoner. Ghetto. Preppy. Goth. Punk. Skater. Theater kid. Popular. Loner. Loser. Redneck. Brat. Hippie. Metrosexual. Bum. Thug. Princess. Mess-up. Stuck up. Slacker. Class clown. Diva. Druggy. Teacher’s pet. Bully. Gay. Wangster. Black. White. Puerto Rican. Asian. Mexican. Freshman. Sophomore. Junior. Senior.

There seems to have been a problem during the evolution of our generation. Born into the era of diversity, presented with limitless opportunities, how have we become so accustomed to conformity? Why would it be so absurd for a cheerleader to be in the Science Olympiad? The subcultures at our school label and simplify each complex individual. Many students are aching to break out. Instead, we shield our self-esteem by surrendering to the relentless battle of social warfare.

We have yet to stand up against stereotypes. Somehow we allow words to define us, constrict us socially, limit us intellectually, and build up barriers between each other. This only makes our differences stand out.

In a typical closet, one would probably find jeans, shirts, shoes, belts, and other items. A healthy diet consists of an assortment of food. Our iPods and mix CD’s are not filled with the same tracks, and our DVD collections have comedies, dramas, and horror and action films. Every aspect of our lives is filled with variety, yet we surround ourselves with personalities parallel to ours. Imagine wearing the same shirt every day, eating the same food at every meal, or listening to only one song for the rest of our existence. Life would be bland. “Variety is the spice of life,” including our relationships. Each person has quirks, secrets, passions, and opinions. The only real difference, though, lies in the fact that those who are truly different shape the world.

ErinSurvivorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I ABSOLUTELY love your article :) Its very awesome and entirely true :)

Rhea V. said...
Yeah it does inform you on what you should do and what you should not do, but it also tells you that everyone around had been called one of those names when they were in high school. just think about it if you were the one who was calling everybody else those names, you gave your self a TITLE, or a NAME

destinee said...
The question is not on whether or not they shape the world, but if their influence is for better or for worse.

cheesehead said...
This article is so compelling and thought-provoking. Thanks for your wisdom and life experience. I am not in your generation, however I value and understand your point of view as a grade 8 language arts teacher! Thanks.

fada55 said...
I thought it was nice because it in forms you on what you should or should not do!