Don't be judgmental about PETA | Teen Ink

Don't be judgmental about PETA

By Make-Love-Not-War SILVER, Anson, Maine
Make-Love-Not-War SILVER, Anson, Maine

"Tobbacco is my favorite vegetable" - Frank Zappa

PETA. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. NOT People Eating Tasty Animals.
PETA is an organization for people who believe animals should be treated fairly and not abused. Vegetarians are the majority of the organization, but some people aren't and they join. PETA means a lot to people who believe in animal rights, and it shouldn't be made fun of. I mean, why would you want to degrade the name of a group of people trying to save animals?

Most people don't even know what PETA is, so before they make fun of it they should at least know what they are going to make fun of. People don't make fun of cancer organizations so why would they make fun of PETA? I'm just asking everyone to try and not degrade PETA because it hurts some people. Some people really care about PETA and it hurts their spirits by saying PETA is stupid and stuff.

I think I should tell you a little about PETA. It is an online organization that helps animals. You can join it and they will send you a starter packet which includes some pamphlets and informational papers regarding cruel things being done to animals. You can print out some things, or you can just sign petitions online to help the cause. Petitions are another thing. You can get some in the mail or print some out. I brought some to my school and got so many people to sign them. I even got some of my friends to join. See, PETA is actually a really fun, involved group of people trying to make a difference.

I am a member of PETA myself, and when people say it is stupid I always speak up. Some people don't speak up and pretend they aren't in PETA just to prevent getting made fun of. I proudly stand by the fact that I'm in PETA; I am not ashamed. People might think it is “stupid” and “not cool” but really, how could helping animals be considered stupid? Maybe if people went on the website they would realize what awful things are happening to animals every day and try to help them.

I am asking everyone to try and have some respect. Don't make fun of someone who is in PETA. It isn't making you cool, it is making you look like you don't care about animals and are just really cruel. I am not saying this just to boys, some girls think PETA is stupid too. So be nice. Don't make fun of PETA. Thank you, to the people who support PETA or don't make fun of it, and I hope I may have changed someone's mind about PETA.

I wrote this piece because I was sick of people making fun of something they know nothing about.

mplo said...
on Nov. 11 2015 at 8:35 am
There are certain things that I really don't like about PETA: A) They clearly don't like the idea of people having any kind of pet(s) in their homes, and they've managed to get some really good pet stores closed down as a consequence. B) They also don't like the idea of people wearing fur or leather, which is one thing, but some of their tactics are absolutely vicious: 1) Although I'm not speaking for all PETA members, there are PETA members who've physically assaulted people in the street or even thrown things at them just simply because their target(s) happen to be wearing something made of fur or leather that day. 2) One pet store within walking distance of where I live no longer sells exotic birds as pets, because they bowed to PETA's pressure not to. It's one thing to be for the ethnical treatment of animals, but I honestly think they've often taken their agenda much too far.

lkk4209 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 23 2011 at 8:03 pm
lkk4209 BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"April Fool's Day is for amateurs. You never need an excuse to mess with people's heads."

"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars, honey."

PETA kills over 90% of the domestic animals they "rescue" and sponsor fire bombing animal testing labs. They are a disgrace to animal rights activists.

AmnyR BRONZE said...
on Nov. 3 2009 at 10:50 pm
AmnyR BRONZE, Clifton, Texas

To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person, you may be the whole world. ~unknown

excuse me? since when are meat-eaters "not on the same level of intelligence" as vegetarians??? I know plenty of people who are vegetarians because it's cool. i know where my food comes from (meat included) and i'm fine with it

on Oct. 30 2009 at 7:00 am
ameerrante GOLD, Chester, Connecticut
That is highly disrespectful. But I'm going to be the better person and not argue with you; meat-eaters are not on the same level of intelligence to dispute with vegetarians.

lollover said...
on Oct. 29 2009 at 7:21 pm
eat a piece of bacon and come back to me

on Oct. 27 2009 at 6:56 pm
ameerrante GOLD, Chester, Connecticut
Wow. Just wow. I recently discovered the "PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)" group on Facebook and was in shock for the rest of the day. I don't understand how people could be so ignorant towards certain groups as to go ahead and make fun of them! All they're trying to do is make a difference in the world, to make suffering just a little less common.

I am a proud member of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and have been a vegetarian since I was eight.

Thank you for sharing this.

on Oct. 24 2009 at 11:59 pm
nolongerinuse SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

“Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” - Kahlil Gibran

Yes, I have a hard time understanding why people talk about things they don't understand, unless learning about these things. Let alone make fun of them. Psh. I have a friend homeschooling with me who is always making a fool of herself, saying words that she heard on tv, without knowing the actual meaning. Like "dooshbag", when she was insulting someone. My mom told her the definition and she was so shocked... people should make an effort to appear intelligent, and learn about things before using them in conversations.

on Oct. 17 2009 at 10:30 pm
Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado

"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

I'm not in PETA, but I know a girl who is, and one guy was making fun of her for it, and it really made me mad. Like you said, why would you make fun of someone for trying to help animals? It's ignorant and mean. I would never make fun of someone for trying to make a difference.

lollover said...
on Oct. 15 2009 at 8:42 pm
People

Eat

Tasty

Aninimals