Don't be judgmental about PETA | Teen Ink

Don't be judgmental about PETA

October 8, 2009
By Make-Love-Not-War SILVER, Anson, Maine
Make-Love-Not-War SILVER, Anson, Maine
9 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Tobbacco is my favorite vegetable" - Frank Zappa


PETA. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. NOT People Eating Tasty Animals.
PETA is an organization for people who believe animals should be treated fairly and not abused. Vegetarians are the majority of the organization, but some people aren't and they join. PETA means a lot to people who believe in animal rights, and it shouldn't be made fun of. I mean, why would you want to degrade the name of a group of people trying to save animals?

Most people don't even know what PETA is, so before they make fun of it they should at least know what they are going to make fun of. People don't make fun of cancer organizations so why would they make fun of PETA? I'm just asking everyone to try and not degrade PETA because it hurts some people. Some people really care about PETA and it hurts their spirits by saying PETA is stupid and stuff.

I think I should tell you a little about PETA. It is an online organization that helps animals. You can join it and they will send you a starter packet which includes some pamphlets and informational papers regarding cruel things being done to animals. You can print out some things, or you can just sign petitions online to help the cause. Petitions are another thing. You can get some in the mail or print some out. I brought some to my school and got so many people to sign them. I even got some of my friends to join. See, PETA is actually a really fun, involved group of people trying to make a difference.

I am a member of PETA myself, and when people say it is stupid I always speak up. Some people don't speak up and pretend they aren't in PETA just to prevent getting made fun of. I proudly stand by the fact that I'm in PETA; I am not ashamed. People might think it is “stupid” and “not cool” but really, how could helping animals be considered stupid? Maybe if people went on the website they would realize what awful things are happening to animals every day and try to help them.

I am asking everyone to try and have some respect. Don't make fun of someone who is in PETA. It isn't making you cool, it is making you look like you don't care about animals and are just really cruel. I am not saying this just to boys, some girls think PETA is stupid too. So be nice. Don't make fun of PETA. Thank you, to the people who support PETA or don't make fun of it, and I hope I may have changed someone's mind about PETA.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because I was sick of people making fun of something they know nothing about.