The Morality of Homosexuality

I figure that it would be good for me to discuss my opinions on homosexuality. This is something that I think about a whole lot because it is something I feel strongly about. I think that I have well developed opinions on the matter, but I generally have trouble putting my arguments and feeling into words. Hopefully, writing this and trying to organize what I think will be helpful for my own thoughts.
The whole issue about the morality of homosexuality makes me very, very angry. I feel this way because as far as I'm concerned, there is no issue. There is absolutely nothing wrong with two consenting people of the same gender having sex, end of story. My morals are far from black and white'I don't dismiss lying and cheating as inherently wrong, and I still can't find a view on abortion that makes me feel entirely comfortable. However, my opinions on homosexuality are very strongly one-sided. There is simply no way homosexual relations can be justified as being wrong. This position cannot be supported by anything rational. Arguments against homosexuality can come only from a source that is entirely irrational.
Religion is what makes people think homosexuality is wrong. In America, the great majority of people are Christian, and I myself know a lot about Christianity from my past experiences, so I'll just talk about the Christian view. I realize that there are people that believe that just the passive trait of being gay is a horrible sin, but these people are simply crazy, and any argument against that position is pretty unnecessary. Therefore, I will talk about the more common stance: It's okay to be gay because God makes people that way sometimes, but it's not okay for gay people to have sex, because that's a sin. It says it right there in the Bible, Leviticus 20:13: 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.' There are some logical problems with this idea. For example: why would God purposefully make people gay and then say they should be chaste? But the real problem lies in the way this quote is used to rationalize positions against homosexuality. To Christians, the Bible is the word of God, so, if it says that gay sex is bad in the Bible, then that's how it is. However, the Bible also says that children should be put to death for being disobedient (Deuteronomy 21:18-21), that working on the Sabbath is an offense punishable by death (Exodus 35:2), and of course that wearing clothes made of two types of material (Leviticus 19:19) or trimming your beard (Leviticus 19:27) is detestable. Nobody believes those other examples are the word of God, so why the one about homosexuality? There is nothing special about the passage on homosexuality. It is simply just another entry in a big list of 'no-nos', but it is regarded as truth while the others are dismissed as exaggerations or outdated laws. You can't pick and choose. How can someone decide what parts of the Bible are the words of God and which ones aren't? The bottom line is that you can't pick and choose you're your god thinks is right and wrong based on what you think. Those passages discredit the entire book, including the parts about homosexuality. The whole situation is a mess, and it makes me glad that I no longer believe in a god or are forced to reconcile religious beliefs with logic and sensible morality.

The only argument against homosexuality is the Bible. Once the Bible is made a void argument, there is nothing. I can't think of any way conventional morals can show gay sex to be wrong. The way I see it, what is right and wrong has little to do with the action itself and everything to do with the consequences. When two people have gay sex, nobody is hurt in any way. Even the Biblical passages give no reason as to why what they condemn is wrong, but people agree simply by default.
I know from personal experience that it is easy to use the Bible as a substitute for a brain. I used to think homosexuality was wrong because of what my parents told me about my religious views. Then I started thinking and I realized how wrong I was. This is why I don't hold anything against people that have a moral problem with homosexuality and oppose gay rights. I have nothing but contempt for their opinions, but the opinions aren't really their own; they are those of old homophobes that lived thousands of years ago and wrote things that somehow managed to have an affect on the world in the present time. Religion catches people and sweeps them away into believing in identical values. When people are told what is irrefutably right and wrong at a young age, they have no reason to question what they see as the right answers. I have a feeling that if there was no religion and people had to come up with their own morals, very few would be against homosexuality, because I honestly cannot think of any situation in which critical thinking and logic could point to the immorality of the practice of homosexuality. Hopefully, people will come to realize this someday.

EttieGHThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 11 at 10:46 am:
I know this is an old post, but, i just wanted to point out something about the scriptures you quoted. First, the sabath was made non-devoid when Jesus replaced it with The Passover, you know his last night on Earth. So, nobody who is a christian needs to keep up with that anymore. Plus, the laws they had back then had to do with their surroundings. That scripture in Levitacus says they musnt shave their heads in a CERTAIN way, that was because they didn't want to be accidentally id... (more »)

LaRomanichelle replied...
Oct. 19 at 9:35 am :
It is worth mentioning that the Bible has been translated and rewritten dozens, if not hundreds of times. I've read "versions" of it that don't even include half of Leviticus. Human error as eroded and replaced the mission sections, so how could you really be sure that God instended for homosexuality is a sin? None of it was written verbatim in the first place, before all the translations.  There are sixty six books in the Bible, written over a span of 1000 years. A... (more »)

kt1411 said...
Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:02 am:
Hi, everyone First of all I would just like to mention FREEDOM OF SPEECH! okay and secondly there are alot of hypocrites here alot of you are giving out because christians are slandering homosexuals when in fact you have been slandering them.  To be honest I'm not a hundred percent sure if I believe in god or not but i do know everyone has the right to believe inn what ever they want and i get why people believe in god for many reasons and i also get why some people do not believe... (more »)

NommocThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I don't want to be mean because some of these comments are quite hurtful, but I disagree with your opinion. I am a homosexual. I really truly hate myself for it. I'm a strong Christian and I believe that God loves me no matter what. I believe that it' same temptation in my life and that homosexuality is wrong and a sin. It's a struggle I face everyday. Different people struggle with different things and homosexuality is the burden that I carry. That's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Ms.Alice replied...
Jan. 6 at 5:41 pm :
Do you think that by accepting yourself for being gay, your desrespecting your religion? 

Nommoc replied...
Jan. 14 at 8:54 pm :
Just because I accept it doesn't mean I'm okay with it or should be content with it. I think it's like someone calling themselves an alcoholic when they have an addiction to alcohol. They're admitting they have a problem. That's what I'm doing when I say I'm gay.

Navya14 replied...
Sep. 3 at 11:23 am :
I get it that you believe in god. But seriously you shouldnt hate yourself for who you are.Homosexuality is not a sin. If you truly believe in God you should have realised by now that god made you like this.
You should be proud of who you are.
That is my opinion.

n017 replied...
Oct. 15 at 7:24 pm :
Nommoc I agree with you. Everyone has their own tests and challenges that they face. You just have to keep strong and keep believing.

Ellodan said...
May 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm:
It is so very wrong, morally and just.....it's wrong. Nuff said.

elain said...
Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:00 am:
the funny thing is that many ppl say christians are narrow minded but at the same tym this ppl only beliv what they think is right to them.........e.g giving an objective view of the topic is quite hard for a christian or any other person.....coz we are shaped by our values, beliefs n principals......science does not explain everything......n christians who are tryin to  look liberal n eazy....you guyz we can try lookin like we love the world and its sin.......but jus rem any tym u ar contr... (more »)

CMBoyboyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 19 at 9:27 am :
You have a point, but please write properly.

to cool#1 said...
I think homosexuality is not wrong. I am one myself, people like who they want to like.

bignobodaddy said...
Unfortunately, if you believe in a god and believe that explains how things came into existence then all we can say is that you believe many things, other prefer to know instead and seek that knowledge in science. The very system that it made possible for you to type your idiotic comment.

Beyourself#1 replied...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:04 am :
I strongly believe in God but there's nothing wrong with Homosexuality.

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm :
There are many scientific THEORIES out there, but the fact is that we weren't there when the universe was created (excuse me, happened), and it's okay for someone to belief that there life has a person beyond the grave. It's something to strive for, I guess.

Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm :
sorry, *purpose* not person, and I am aware of my many typos. I'm not a religious imbecile, I am a human being, and you probably understand what i'm trying to say, anyway.

L_J_878 said...

Um... Okay, I like it, but... Here's the catch. First of all, you celebrate being anti-religion, and I don't really agree with that; not only do I constantly think about "the answer," being a semi-Catholic/semi-Agnostic, but also because it can offend people who really are in Chritianity to the tops of their heads.

And what about other religions? I'm pretty sure Islam is homophobic... right? Also, religion isn't the only reason for homophobia; some people just think it's weird.

Hippiealien said...
I agree with your opinion i am Religious but i feel the same way :) I actually have a POV article called "Equal Marriage" :)

Godisreal24 said...
You say you dont believe in God but how do you think everything came about...you think it just happened. Come on now, you cant possible believe that!!!! and homosexuality is WRONG!!! just as murdering, lying, cheating, fornication, adultery, and everything else is wrong and everyone that commits these sins will be held accountable for their deeds done in their body in judgement before God. If you don't believe it now, you will when you die !

TeaCat replied...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm :
Stop trying to shove your religion down out throats. We have a right to our own opinion. Also, homosexuality is NOT wrong. Please try to get that into you thick head.