The Morality of Homosexuality | Teen Ink

The Morality of Homosexuality

I figure that it would be good for me to discuss my opinions on homosexuality. This is something that I think about a whole lot because it is something I feel strongly about. I think that I have well developed opinions on the matter, but I generally have trouble putting my arguments and feeling into words. Hopefully, writing this and trying to organize what I think will be helpful for my own thoughts.
The whole issue about the morality of homosexuality makes me very, very angry. I feel this way because as far as I'm concerned, there is no issue. There is absolutely nothing wrong with two consenting people of the same gender having sex, end of story. My morals are far from black and white'I don't dismiss lying and cheating as inherently wrong, and I still can't find a view on abortion that makes me feel entirely comfortable. However, my opinions on homosexuality are very strongly one-sided. There is simply no way homosexual relations can be justified as being wrong. This position cannot be supported by anything rational. Arguments against homosexuality can come only from a source that is entirely irrational.
Religion is what makes people think homosexuality is wrong. In America, the great majority of people are Christian, and I myself know a lot about Christianity from my past experiences, so I'll just talk about the Christian view. I realize that there are people that believe that just the passive trait of being gay is a horrible sin, but these people are simply crazy, and any argument against that position is pretty unnecessary. Therefore, I will talk about the more common stance: It's okay to be gay because God makes people that way sometimes, but it's not okay for gay people to have sex, because that's a sin. It says it right there in the Bible, Leviticus 20:13: 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.' There are some logical problems with this idea. For example: why would God purposefully make people gay and then say they should be chaste? But the real problem lies in the way this quote is used to rationalize positions against homosexuality. To Christians, the Bible is the word of God, so, if it says that gay sex is bad in the Bible, then that's how it is. However, the Bible also says that children should be put to death for being disobedient (Deuteronomy 21:18-21), that working on the Sabbath is an offense punishable by death (Exodus 35:2), and of course that wearing clothes made of two types of material (Leviticus 19:19) or trimming your beard (Leviticus 19:27) is detestable. Nobody believes those other examples are the word of God, so why the one about homosexuality? There is nothing special about the passage on homosexuality. It is simply just another entry in a big list of 'no-nos', but it is regarded as truth while the others are dismissed as exaggerations or outdated laws. You can't pick and choose. How can someone decide what parts of the Bible are the words of God and which ones aren't? The bottom line is that you can't pick and choose you're your god thinks is right and wrong based on what you think. Those passages discredit the entire book, including the parts about homosexuality. The whole situation is a mess, and it makes me glad that I no longer believe in a god or are forced to reconcile religious beliefs with logic and sensible morality.

The only argument against homosexuality is the Bible. Once the Bible is made a void argument, there is nothing. I can't think of any way conventional morals can show gay sex to be wrong. The way I see it, what is right and wrong has little to do with the action itself and everything to do with the consequences. When two people have gay sex, nobody is hurt in any way. Even the Biblical passages give no reason as to why what they condemn is wrong, but people agree simply by default.
I know from personal experience that it is easy to use the Bible as a substitute for a brain. I used to think homosexuality was wrong because of what my parents told me about my religious views. Then I started thinking and I realized how wrong I was. This is why I don't hold anything against people that have a moral problem with homosexuality and oppose gay rights. I have nothing but contempt for their opinions, but the opinions aren't really their own; they are those of old homophobes that lived thousands of years ago and wrote things that somehow managed to have an affect on the world in the present time. Religion catches people and sweeps them away into believing in identical values. When people are told what is irrefutably right and wrong at a young age, they have no reason to question what they see as the right answers. I have a feeling that if there was no religion and people had to come up with their own morals, very few would be against homosexuality, because I honestly cannot think of any situation in which critical thinking and logic could point to the immorality of the practice of homosexuality. Hopefully, people will come to realize this someday.

expressiveme BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"love is only defined by a single feeling that we as humans believe in" - expressiveme

i agree so many people try to persuade other s to be with one person but it really is just bull yuo should be able to decide for yourself

ElisabethElizzLiz BRONZE, Brookpark, Ohio

Love is the flower you've got to let grow.
-John Lennon

About how being gay is against christian beliefs, well christianity is all a bunch of mede up stories and lies, and the whole adam and eve thing (1 woman, 1 man) is total bullshit . You should be able to love whoever you want. I support gays.

Escritoria said...
I don't think anyone is born gay. I think it is a state of mind. If you grow up thinking that it's okay to like someone of your same sex, then you will explore that option. If you grow up thinking that it is wrong, then you will vehemently oppose it. Personally, I have nothing against gay people. They are people like anyone else. But I do beleive that gayness is wrong and immoral. But that's my point of veiw.

Jezabel PLATINUM, Ricmond, Virginia

In the end we will not the remeber the words of your enemys, but the silence of are friends.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

i am not gay or christion. yet i am very for gay rights. we are all human and all beautiful. this article shows it

sup01 said...
hey rite on I am a lesbain christian with a baptist gf and i wouldnt date a guy in the world in her place

MattS said...
Yeah I agree with that, all I know is that we're all born individual, and if we were born gay , then why is it their fault that they're born that way?

BonnieF said...
on Oct. 16 2009 at 9:49 am
BonnieF, Schenectady, New York
Or... maybe we weren't ALL made to be homosexual. Maybe that's just how some people were made to be.

Why would god make us all so different if he wanted us to be the same?

And also, America is a country based on separation of church and state. Regardless of the majority of religious opinions in the country, such an important decision can't even slightly be based on religious morals of one group.

ElizNieves PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois

"It's funny. Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody." The Catcher in the Rye

Have you read my article? You will be so proud!!

Seth31 said...
I agree with you completely and I am both Gay & Christian. Where did you find all this information though? Do you just look through the bible in your free time and just try to find the errors? All in all you did a wonderful job on this article.
Good job,
Seth31

Lonnie BRONZE said...
Lonnie BRONZE, Livingston, Montana
Obama should say something. It's just not right at all, it's like taking the mentally retarded's rights away!!!

Lonnie BRONZE said...
Lonnie BRONZE, Livingston, Montana
Think of this, if God hates homosexuality, then why does it exist in our world? Wouldn't he have saw it and stopped it?

on Sep. 11 2009 at 11:20 am
~Wolf-Woman~ PLATINUM, Carthage, Missouri
I really like your article. It takes a great stance on the issue of homosexuality. I myself am also a christian and all for gay people. I dont have a problem with it. If someone loves someone what right do we have to say they cant be together. It's true that the bible is the only thing blocking the issue.

on Sep. 5 2009 at 1:55 am
CellarDoor SILVER, Riverside, California
I agree with you fully. While I do see myself as a Christian, I do not see the Bible as the complete and utter truth. I think we can find bits of trut in all religions, and in all aspects of the world. I've felt exactly what this article states. Thank for posting it, it's a great piece of writing.

Karli Young BRONZE, Johnson, Missouri
i agree about that this megase will exlpoded in 5-4-3-2-1 *BOOM*

Karli Young BRONZE, Johnson, Missouri
i know they just say it is a big deal when its not. reply if you would want to protest and our new president should at least say something about that

Karli Young BRONZE, Johnson, Missouri
yeah how would we be able to have it? repley back if you agree

PK4evr ELITE said...
on Aug. 14 2009 at 1:08 am
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas

When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!

If we were made to be homosexual then why weren't we all made in one sex? Think about it.

totalbookworm96 BRONZE, Granger, Indiana
I am with you 100%. i myself am catholic, i go to a catholic school, and this issue has come up before in religion class and you are totally right, the bible is the only argument against that, and that doesnt even make sense. good job!

Lonnie BRONZE said...
on Aug. 6 2009 at 6:45 am
Lonnie BRONZE, Livingston, Montana
Wow, I highly agree with you. The only reason why it's such a "big deal" is because people are making it a big deal.