History Repeats | Teen Ink

History Repeats

By Sitav GOLD, Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Sitav GOLD, Cedar Grove, New Jersey

"I studied every thing but never topped.... But today the toppers of the best universities are my employees" --Bill Gates

When people hear the term gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender, they think it’s weird or unusual. But the truth, according to gaylife.about.com, is that in the United States, one out of every ten people is identified as LGBT, and one in every twenty people is gay or lesbian. These people are denied the privilege of marriage in the majority of states in America. Throughout the past few years, this issue has risen to be one of the most talked about and controversial issues in the country. As said by pewforum.org, the main issue that’s keeping states from allowing same sex marriages is state laws. Although many claim that those state laws are unconstitutional, many others use them to prevent same sex marriages.
My opinion very clearly is that religion is the core of this entire problem. We don’t live in primitive times so we shouldn’t get together with the opposite sex just to reproduce. The reason that only humans are identified as LGBT is because we are the only ones smart enough to really think about what we want and not what we need. Religion, particularly Christianity, claims that it’s wrong to be a homosexual because it’s the influence of the devil. Religion has been stupid enough to say that anything that seems unusual is a sign of the devil and one perfect example would be witches. I’m sure that no one remembers the witch trials of Salem with great regards as to how God-fearing people brutally murdered innocent women. Back in the fifteenth century, people disrespectfully also dug up corpses and stuck stakes into them with the assumption that they were vampires. Hysterically, the majority of the world believes something that can’t be proved, such as God, at the same time that they shun scientific experiments that are constantly proved.
To my defense, there is proof that evolution has pre-wired the mind of a gay person to be gay. It is not something that you get to choose; it is something that’s there before you even know it. Scientists explain it as Mother Nature’s way of keeping us from reproducing too much and sending us into starvation but whatever it may be, we can’t change it. So why not accept it? Gay people are people. They can think just as well as straight people, work just as well as straight people, and behave just as well as straight people. Like everyone else who’s different, they’re made fun of and people have projected the thought of being gay as so negative that it is actually an insult. This is a stupid and primitive way of thinking because you’re ruining the lives of people who not only accepted that they are different but also put up with the thousands of people who give them a hard time.
It’s almost racial to think of gay people as different because since they are people, they should be respected and analyzed individually just like straight people are. There’s no difference between us except in our sexual and emotional desires, and yet we categorize them as queer or demented. I think we all need to wake up and see that they wont just disappear if we close our eyes and pretend that they aren’t there. It’s time to value them and recognize them as equal members of society. Thinking realistically, they actually provide an advantage since they don’t reproduce but want to adopt. It’s a great benefit. Just like we denied African American rights, women’s rights, and interracial rights, we’re denying homosexual rights. Now we all know how those stories ended, and this story isn’t going to end any differently, so why slow it down? We all are members of this society and shouldn’t let opinion dominate what’s truly right. Gay marriages should be permitted, regardless of how it’s always been. Change is inevitable, so accept it.

sitav said...
I will, but before I do why don't you substitute for me? Which words did I spell wrong?

Jenna Caretsky, Kings Park, New York
good topic to write about. theres this cool new invention called spell check. you should try it =]