What Defines An American | Teen Ink

What Defines An American

April 27, 2009
By Anonymous

In this day in age, Americans can take on various different meanings. For me an American is someone who is proud of who they are and where they came from. They are someone who loves their country and is fortunate to realize all that it has to offer. There is no set way of defining exactly what an American is, but we all can have an opinion.

Every person in America has a different life and a different story. Some are born and raised in this glorious country but others not so lucky. Some travel from all over the world searching for a way to make their families have a better chance at life. A way they think they can make that happen is by moving to America. I also think that is why determination and perseverance can also define an American.

As Americans we have the freedom of religion, speech, press, petition, and assembly; and we use those rights to our best abilities. We are not all perfect but we work hard and strive to be the best we can be. When our country suffers a major crisis, such as 911, natural disasters, and economy issues, we all come together to help one another. You might be suffering in one part of the country and get help from people who live all the way on the other side.

Being an American means a lot to me. We have choices and opportunities that many other places could only dream of. . Whether we be brave, courageous, proud, or loyal all of us should be thankful that we live is such a great country and are about to call our selves Americans.