My Name This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My name, Mohammed, is the same as the prophet of my religion, Islam. He was the last of our prophets and was kind and nice, not greedy or vengeful. My name may not mean hope, strength, or courage, nor beauty. However, it represents many things to me.

When I was born, my uncles and aunts, my father and mother, and all my relatives wanted to name me. Finally, my father chose Almosharaf Hussain, or Al Hussain. My first name became Mohammed. In addition, I got a nickname, Suvo.

My name is the candle, and I am the moth. It is my skin. It may not mean beautiful, but to me it is like the ocean, shimmering as the sunlight plays on its waves. Also, my name represents bravery and intelligence, like Tom Thumb, the little boy in that fairy tale who tricked the largest thieves and the slickest animals.

Like Hercules, my name has infinite strength. It speaks to me, tells me who I am. It dances, plays, walks with me. It is my brother because it will be with me forever, but it is also my enemy. My last name, Hussain, sometimes pricks me. It is not always the beautiful sanctuary of my life. I am sometimes criticized for it; it relates to someone else and causes people to tease me or say bad things.

However, I am still proud of my name because it ­represents an important thing: me.

WinstonSmith said...
May 6, 2013 at 12:35 pm:
This is beautiful.  I admire your confidence.   

writingrocksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2011 at 8:29 am:
Wow, great piece. No wonder it got published. So you're called Suvo? Are you Bengali? (Please don't mind my asking.;)) Suvo sounds like a Bengali name...

mikey232 said...
this is so bad

mikey232 replied...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 5:43 pm :
i was just kidding lol

Mohammed H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm :
Come on Famim, I asked for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...