My Name MAG

By Mohammed Hussain GOLD, New York City, New York
Mohammed Hussain GOLD, New York City, New York

My name, Mohammed, is the same as the prophet of my religion, Islam. He was the last of our prophets and was kind and nice, not greedy or vengeful. My name may not mean hope, strength, or courage, nor beauty. However, it represents many things to me.

When I was born, my uncles and aunts, my father and mother, and all my relatives wanted to name me. Finally, my father chose Almosharaf Hussain, or Al Hussain. My first name became Mohammed. In addition, I got a nickname, Suvo.

My name is the candle, and I am the moth. It is my skin. It may not mean beautiful, but to me it is like the ocean, shimmering as the sunlight plays on its waves. Also, my name represents bravery and intelligence, like Tom Thumb, the little boy in that fairy tale who tricked the largest thieves and the slickest animals.

Like Hercules, my name has infinite strength. It speaks to me, tells me who I am. It dances, plays, walks with me. It is my brother because it will be with me forever, but it is also my enemy. My last name, Hussain, sometimes pricks me. It is not always the beautiful sanctuary of my life. I am sometimes criticized for it; it relates to someone else and causes people to tease me or say bad things.

However, I am still proud of my name because it ­represents an important thing: me.

on May. 6 2013 at 12:35 pm
WinstonSmith BRONZE, Columbia, Missouri
This is beautiful.  I admire your confidence.   

on May. 30 2011 at 8:29 am
writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"You have to learn to love yourself before you learn to love others."

Wow, great piece. No wonder it got published. So you're called Suvo? Are you Bengali? (Please don't mind my asking.;)) Suvo sounds like a Bengali name...

on Jan. 18 2010 at 10:18 pm
Come on Famim, I asked for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...

mikey232 said...
on Dec. 8 2009 at 5:43 pm
i was just kidding lol

mikey232 said...
on Dec. 8 2009 at 5:42 pm
this is so bad

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!