Feedback on Egg Salad Sandwiches | Teen Ink

Feedback on Egg Salad Sandwiches

By mariyanovosad GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mariyanovosad GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

With the shocking opening line of “Today’s unhealthy food of the day is eggs,” the fiction piece “Egg Salad Sandwiches” by Caroline O., Rye, provides readers with an alternative reality where the world revolves around calories. Never would I had expected eggs to be classified as an unhealthy food, especially for the reasons that they are high in fat and cholesterol. Thus, to see foods like bread and milk pile onto the list of forbidden foods is completely outrageous. However, with all the surprises found in this story, that list only serves a minor significance. Readers are introduced to a family divided by the system that controls their current society. They are restricted by the government and their concern of staying robust, which tends to enhance the number of feuds found between this family of four.

While reading the piece, I had imagined our world and government to be the same as the one in the story, as an attempt to see how much my life would change. With some consideration, I had realized that everything I was reading was just an exaggeration of what already exists. The standard of skinny being the only acceptable body type and the pressures of eating right all the time were two main messages portrayed in this story that can also be found in our world. All that was done is that the consequences were made more severe. Overall, “Egg Salad Sandwiches” is just one huge hyperbole, with a plot underlining the words and hope stringing along in the pages.