Feedback on Idiom Intervention | Teen Ink

Feedback on Idiom Intervention

By AngelinaC GOLD, Staten Island, New York
AngelinaC GOLD, Staten Island, New York

Idiom Intervention, by Herbie Steinman, is one of the most comical pieces I have ever read in Teen Ink. The piece consists of dialogue between two people, a joker, and an extremely logical person. Whilst the joker uses many idioms and other figurative language when speaking to the other character, the logical antagonist took everything literally. The logical character continuously responded to the joker by having each of his responses relate to some form of science or reason. In addition, the logical person constantly “ruins the joker’s thunder.” He does this as he knows it clearly annoys the other main speaker.
The best part of the piece is when the “goat” idiom is referenced at the end. However, even with the constant talk of metaphorical language, the logical thinker still fails to understand and interpret the figurative language. Steinman’s piece definitely deserves the praise it received. It’s comedic, lighthearted mood and tone makes it an easy read that everyone can understand. Idiom Intervention is an amazing comedic piece, something I wish to see more of.