Conceit and Defeat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The article “Conceit and Defeat,” written by Ty Thomas, talks about how the author’s pride cost his team a chance to go to the Texas High School football playoffs. His writing left me feeling both sad and mad because he tried to make a play that wasn’t needed and ended up losing the game. Thomas writes, ”Just like in sports, our society is a team whose progress depends on its players, with each player having an individual role.” I agree with him.

People in a society have roles, and if they don’t fulfill those roles, a society can fail. I have never let my pride move in front of my team, but I have caused my team to lose the game-winning play. Ty wrote, “The feeling of guilt was inconceivable.” The feeling of letting your team down when they need you most is a horrible feeling. I see the same issues presented in this article in my own life. People are too proud of themselves and don’t think about what will happen when their pride moves in front of others.