A Lighthouse in Hurricane Harvey

In the story “A lighthouse in Hurricane Harvey”, Lauren Y. explains her feelings and what she sees when she comes home to her house and neighborhood destroyed by Hurricane Harvey.  The piece in this story that caught my attention the most is when the author said “ We left our lives behind that day at the break of dawn, uncertain of our future and of what world remain of our past”. As a reader of this story I sympathize the author since I also live in a coastal community that has and could be hit with a hurricane of the same degree as Harvey.

The part that I liked the most in Lauren’s writing was her opening paragraph. In the opening paragraph she says “My home was on the map as just one dot, bleeding red. Red for mandatory evacuation. We left our lives behind that day at the break of dawn, uncertain of our future and of what would remain of our past.” I liked this the most because, it really caught my attention and pulled me into reading this story. With all the negative news going around about our country being divided it is good to hear that some people are coming together for a common good.