Feedback on Orwell Was Onto Something This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I can say with confidence that I have at least tried to become a vegetarian. However, the temptation of bacon always seems to break my resolve. But every now and then I read something so incredibly written that reverts me back to my want for a meat-free diet.“Orwell Was Onto Something” by Samuel is one of the most jarring works about animal treatment I’ve ever read. The backward format of his piece only adds to the overall experience of reading, showing how a seemingly innocent job opportunity can be so hellish. The article begins with him leaving the farm after being paid for his work; he compares it to Auschwitz.

He continues on to write how his employer, Gary, would throw piglets into the pen like “rag dolls”. Gary falls into an abusive cycle of taking his anger out on the animals, screaming and kicking them for no apparent reason. Then, the most disturbing part of the article in my eyes, the author must pile up the rotting corpses of the dead animals. Some had been dead and decomposing for so long that when he picked them up they fell apart like “lasagna” and he has to shovel their bodies up like snow. The title, a reference to George Orwell’s Animal Farm, is perfect for the article as it shows how animals do face disgusting treatment. When people are abused, they speak up. When animals are abused, they can’t speak up. The best we can do is voice their troubles for them, fight for them. Ignore the excuses. “It’s not my business.” “It’s HIS dog.” “Nothing I can do.” It is your business. It shouldn’t be his dog if he’s abusive. There is something you can do. So do it.

alsouThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 3:00 pm
this is soo important, loved this sally!!!