Verbal Harassment | Teen Ink

Verbal Harassment MAG

By HELENDEGENERES GOLD, Forest Hills, New York
HELENDEGENERES GOLD, Forest Hills, New York

“Verbal Harassment” by Isabella Winkler is a beautiful short work about how she was verbally harassed by a group of boys on her way to school. I loved the piece because it was real and very honest.

As a female teenager, I could relate it to my own experiences walking to my school or the store. However, one sentence made my eyebrows furrow. Isabella writes: “Now, just a heads-up, I don’t consider myself to be one of the types to get a boy’s attention ….” This sentence weakens the author’s argument. Don’t get me wrong. Her experience is 100 percent valid. She should have never been harassed. But to imply that a girl’s “type” plays a role in the likelihood that they’ll be harassed, seems wrong. Even if you’re a heartbreaker, a player, or a flirt, you don’t deserve to receive negative attention, or to be harassed. No girl should.

I love this so much

some_dude SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Wow, thank you proving a slight shift in that article. I am not a girl but I don't like when people refer to their 'type'. It was a good article though. Good job.

qwertyuiopasdfghjk BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."
- Helen Keller

THIS IS SO GOOD IM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!

alsou BRONZE said...
alsou BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

everything will work out in the end!!!! if it's not working out, it is Not the end

Helene!!!!!! I love this so much what an ICON