Feedback on, "The Apple Tree" by Tess Woitaszek | Teen Ink

Feedback on, "The Apple Tree" by Tess Woitaszek

By ohcheboccone PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
ohcheboccone PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"But most of all, we love Madeline!"

While skimming through my September issue of Teen Ink, one particular fiction piece caught my eye. It was called, “The Apple Tree”, written by Tess Woitaszek from Attica, NY. It was a story about a tree's perspective of the changing season. The tree in question ,an apple tree, is in an orchard. The tree talks of the creatures that visit it, and how winter is with no fruit. Short, rhyming poems separate the paragraphs, making for a wonderful and captivating reading experience.

I found the writing to be wonderful. The way is was written made me really envision a tree writing this story and telling it. The vocabulary and sentence structure of the writing made in feel like a tree was speaking, and not like a human was writing what they think a tree would say. I also enjoyed the poems an enormous amount. They, in a way, serve as dividers and transitions between the seasons the tree endures. From the second poem, I really loved the line, “My favorite creatures by far were bats, I could feel their wings brushing me past.” It really gave the tree character and personification.