Feedback on "Why '13 Reasons Why' Fails" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Why '13 Reasons Why' Fails"

September 19, 2017
By SabinaZ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
SabinaZ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Why “13 Reasons Why” Fails

     When I first saw the title "Why '13 Reasons Why' Fails" I thought that it would be a fair representation of why it was wrong, but it was anything but fair. Once I started to read the article I started to get more and more enraged at it. Ellis Donghey wrote that the TV series was the opposite of what she wanted to see. She wanted a show about mental illness, but the show was the complete opposite. Donghey also wrote that the main character, Hannah Baker, was dramatic, self-centered, and attention seeking. She did not like that the characters were unsupportive, and uncaring. If you ask me, Ellis Donghey should re watch the TV series because she has a totally wrong depiction of “13 Reasons Why”.
     There are so many things wrong with Ellis Donghey’s article that I don't even know where to start. Personally I think that the main point of the TV series was to show the viewers that bullying someone can lead to them committing suicide, not about mental illness. Hannah Baker who is the main character committed suicide because of how the people around her treated her. Thus she left tapes to tell the the people who influenced her the most, why she ended her life. How can Hannah Baker be self-centered and attention seeking if she is dead? Also nobody knew about the tapes except for the 13 people who were on them. According to the article it states “As though leaving cassette tapes describing what led you to take your life could be artistic, gain you the appreciation of peers, or is the only way to communicate your pain to others.” Obviously Ellis Donghey should re-watch the TV series carefully because she did not understand that the characters who got the tapes did not want them to come out. As I had said before no one knew about the tapes except for the people who were on them. The author of this article has to re check the statements that she put in her article, because in my opinion they are not true.