Feedback on Sunflower | Teen Ink

Feedback on Sunflower

By pancakebears GOLD, Staten Island, New York
pancakebears GOLD, Staten Island, New York

"'You're the one who says books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them.'" — Inkheart

In the last edition of Teen Ink, the fictional story “Sunflower” by Moira S. had my eyes hanging onto the page for more, even when I had finished reading. This story juxtaposes the narrator with the sunflowers; as the plot progresses, the narrator realizes that in order grow as a person, she must face her responsibilities directly instead of ignoring them and hoping that they will go away on their own. The narrator notes that the sunflowers in the beautiful fields she wanders in have their own issues, just like her. The sunflowers sit under the sizzling sun all day, yet they still manage to grow. Inspired by these yellow hearts, the narrator decides that she will learn from the sunflowers and sprout despite her struggle. Moria’s flowing sentences molds this complex idea in the most charming way by weaving reflection and change into the mind of her protagonist.

I really hung onto this piece because I felt that it was something that many teens—including myself—could relate to. Most of the time, it is way easier to run away from problems than it is to conquer them. I usually take the easy way out; I avoid the issues that bother me until they become too exhausting for me to lug around. However, we are given problems so we can solve them and learn from them, not so we can bury them with guilt. Moria states, “I will face and conquer them head-on, and like the sunflowers thriving under the blazing sun, will grow because of it.” This line is so magnificent because it demonstrates how the sunflowers have the strength to bloom from their imperfections, something that many people have trouble accomplishing.

on Sep. 22 2017 at 3:57 pm
maeve15 PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

THis is an amazing review