Butterfly Effect | Teen Ink

Butterfly Effect

By missmarie123 SILVER, Staten Island, New York
missmarie123 SILVER, Staten Island, New York

“Butterfly Effect” by Samantha L. is a moving piece that dismisses the separation of life and death. The story is told from the point of view of a ten year old, and begins with her butterfly business. She goes to Dead Man’s Meadow to catch butterflies and sells them to neighborhood girls on the street corner. The story then takes an unexpectedly grim turn from there, but not in the way that you would think. The change in atmosphere is strong, but the narrator’s tone doesn't seem to change much.

Although the narrator is young, the author uses complex vocabulary and strong sensory details to enhance the meaning of the story. The author’s use of metaphors and other figurative language also grabs the reader’s attention. “The past fogs my mind like warmth on winter glass, and its shadowy characters tell their story. The dark of night delivers its message as I disappear quietly into its hands.” This fantastic use of similes and personification is just one example of the maturity of the author's language.