Review of "Drop the Label" | Teen Ink

Review of "Drop the Label"

By 17souvo GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
17souvo GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"But why does the question of my ethnicity always have a red asterisk next to the fill-in box? Why is it required for strangers to link me to a culture I have no connection with?" "Drop the Label" by "Alice" addresses issues such as assumption and labelling. She explains that she is uncertain of her heritage since her mother is adopted and has no ties to her biological parents. However, many people constantly ask her about her race despite it not being as important as her likes and dislikes or her dreams. "Alice" states that she is not bothered by her lack of background knowledge. She believes that her ethnicity should not be the basis of judgement, rather her personality.

"Alice" says that "We will never truly be an 'equal rights planet if we remain stuck on the origin of skin tone," and she is absolutely correct. Everywhere, people are being judged and stereotyped for where they come from and where their families come from. Racism is real. It's not something that we can ignore and just hope it goes away, it's something we have to take into our own hands and expel ourselves. "Drop the Label" will hopefully cause people to think differently about what really defines someone.