The Electoral College, Explained | Teen Ink

The Electoral College, Explained MAG

By GalacticGlitterMen GOLD, Brooklyn, NY, New York
GalacticGlitterMen GOLD, Brooklyn, NY, New York

I didn’t understand the dilemma
regarding the electoral college before I read
“The Electoral College, Explained” by Sarah Geis. I had seen some posts on social media about it, but I only had a vague sense of the problem.

Sarah’s essay explains what the electoral college is, why it was implemented, and why it isn’t a good system for democratic voting. She also explored other options for electing a president. Sarah raises the point that the electoral college was created because “the Founding Fathers felt that giving the vote directly to the people could be risky.”

This essay really made me think about our voting system. I believe that the
electoral college does not do a good job representing American voters. It attempts to “give power to the small states” by taking it away from the larger populations, grouping votes together so that in a city that voted mostly for one person, votes for the other candidate do not seem to count. If someone loses the popular vote but wins the presidency, can we really say that we, the people, chose him or her to be our president?

on Jan. 9 2017 at 10:17 am
PotatoMan360 GOLD, Overland Park, Kansas

Have a fantabulus day!

Very interesting... I like how a position is not reached, but instead you bring up lots of good points