Not A Haiku This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The poem, Not a Haiku is of course, not a haiku. It is a free verse poem that explains in three lines how the writer couldn't possibly write about someone in just seventeen syllables. Scrolling through the long list of poems on the Teen Ink website, the title caught my attention. It wasn't the long emotional poem that most people see as what all poems should be. It was the classic short, sweet, and to the point.

By dictionary definition, a haiku is a "Japanese poem in seventeen syllables with three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world." Though the poem has a similar structure to a haiku having three lines, they have eleven, seventeen, and twelve syllables respectively. The poem wasn't related to the natural world, breaking most of the haiku's rules.

Not a Hiaku made me realize that sometimes the simplest things can have a lasting impact. Skimming down the seemingly endless list of fiction stories, memoirs and college essays, I was looking for a piece that would give me that spark of inspiration. I would look at the articles that appear substantial and long, but would always result in a frustrated sigh. That was until a little poem encouraged me to write this piece.

mydearwatsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 8:24 pm
Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed my poem :)

Ruby2598uThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 8:27 am
Your welcome! To think the author would see this really makes my day.