After All | Teen Ink

After All MAG

November 4, 2016
By btkings BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
btkings BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When our teacher gives us Teen Ink magazine in class, I immediately skip to the back, trying to find a poem that reaches out to me. “After All” by Emily Mercier did just that. When I read it, I saw how much passion she put in it, the feelings she poured into the lines, and the message it conveyed. That immediately caught my attention.
It’s obvious that Emily spent a lot of time on this poem, revealing her feelings but not showing too much. I almost teared up because I realized how many people can relate. Her words spoke to me and boosted my confidence. I commend her for that.
I loved the line, “I’d finally found the part I was supposed to play, but even the best writers edit their work.” This part captured the poem’s purpose, and I felt it could spark the minds of others and possibly change their opinion of themselves. If a poem can change someone’s opinion, you know it’s powerful.
The entire poem packed a punch. Emily conveyed such a beautiful message, and my message to her is “Keep doing what you’re doing – because you’re doing it right.”