Feedback: What is Feminism? | Teen Ink

Feedback: What is Feminism?

October 13, 2016
By Julie_Ruin GOLD, Staten Island, New York
Julie_Ruin GOLD, Staten Island, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"...it took me a while to realize that it doesn't mean I have to hate men or burn my bras. It means that I want and will fight for equal rights." What Is Feminism? by Sophie Consorti is a powerful article. Not powerful in the way that it will change the world or even get on local news. Powerful enough that it can change even a few minds because let's face it– feminism is unpopular. I'm a feminist too, and I make fun of Super Feminists just like everybody else. I'm sure you've seen them, crazy women who claim everything is sexual assault.
   People somehow get it in their heads that this is what feminism is all about. As Consorti establishes in the first paragraph, it just means that women should be equal to men. In all ways, whether they're pleasurable or not. Consorti also touches upon growing up as a female. You have to watch your back constantly. You have to understand that being assaulted out in the open is a very real possibility. Even from a young age we must know that. Feminism simply is establishment of women in the political, economic, and social world. It's a fight for equality.
   Feminists can't be man-hating. That wouldn't help us at all. After all, we have rely on them to get the change started. Most powerful people in the government are men. After all, not all men are ignorant. Many of them understand what the movement is, and fully support it. They are on our side. Feminism needs all the help it can get, regardless of gender.