Feedback on "Hypnos" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Hypnos" MAG

October 13, 2016
By WL_138 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
WL_138 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Hypnos” by Tabitha Davidson is a poem that all of us, as teenagers too young to vote, can relate to. With the fuss over the 2016 presidential election blowing up all over social media, I'd say we each have some idea and opinion of what's happening in our world. I can relate to the poem, being dependent on those who are of voting age because I do not yet have the power to change the world. So, as Tabitha writes, “why not just sleep through it?” It’s because while I don't have a voice yet, I still live and while older people may scoff at my opinions, I still, have them.
I also am but a thirteen-year-old girl, and I look silently out the window to watch the adults walk by. I asked my mom who she voted for, and she told me, “Hillary Clinton.” I asked her why, and she said, “It’s time we had a female president.” I would agree with the choice but not the reasoning, for which so many have stayed blind. Hypnos is the Greek god of sleep. A lot of adults I see have fallen under his spell, staying oblivious and hoping to sleep away the chaos. But even if it doesn't make a difference in the world, like Tabitha, I'll stay awake.