The Picky Eater | Teen Ink

The Picky Eater

By bumblebeezo PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
bumblebeezo PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

The Picky Eater by Molly Laninberg is an unintentionally emotional piece. She talks about how hard it is to find foods she likes. She begins the piece by describing how a certain food looks from her perspective. This really puts the readers in her shoes. Throughout the piece, Molly uses descriptive language to show how she feels about being a picky eater. She can't partake in one of the only universal traditions, eating. Molly says "Accepting this label was so much easier than explaining that certain foods turned my stomach inside out and made my eyes water." The piece seems comedic but there is an underlying cry for help.
     Over the summer, i stopped eating meat and i don't like seafood to begin with. At first it was hard, because i loved meat. Now the sight of it makes me want to vomit. Molly says her "tongue is a fence rather than a welcome mat." She says "Food is the socially acceptable addiction that i can't fall into." The piece is funny at times saying "I'm somewhat of a culinary novelty: a picky eater above the age of 10...I shrugged when faced with the look of shock from my pre-K teacher when i announced i wouldn't eat the graham crackers because they were too sweet." However, Molly contrasts the comedy by discussing how she has tried everything from mind tricks to therapists to doctors and is still a "picky eater." This is where her cry for help appears.
     Molly ends the piece the same way she begins, with a story. She talks about the guilt she feels as she "dumps the leftover food on [her] plate into the trash can. The aftertaste of...whatever that remains in my mouth. I know i could have never made myself eat it." Her final sentence is "I am hungry," which is a simple way to tie up her article. It is both funny and depressing at the same time, much like the article itself. This article was wonderfully different and i enjoyed reading it very much. And Molly, i hope you're okay.