Autobiography of a Latino Urban Kid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“There Will Be Light: Autobiography of a Latino Urban Kid” is moving from start to finish. It tells the true story of a Latino boy growing up in New York. Isaac describes the struggles his family faced, from his mother’s attempt to find work to the issue of domestic violence. This article is, in short,  phenomenal. Isaac’s writing grabbed my attention and held it throughout.

This article was relatable since my parents also moved here from different countries. My mom worked many jobs before finally settling down. She too had to put up with abuse before my father left and my parents got a divorce. One of the most important points was Isaac’s grandmother’s advice: “The possibilities are endless. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to. All you need is hard work and dedication, and you will succeed as long as you have a plan,” which is brilliant advice, no matter the situation.