How to get Published?

By , Beaverton, OR

Dear Mr Editor,
I dream of the day I can officially call myself a writer. Not a high school dreamer, not another JV swimmer, not another Key Club member, but a writer. Every single article I write, I pour countless hours into it, trying to perfect the word choice, trying to make it sing its song for another person. But every email I get back that says I have been published on is simply another fat rejection.

Voted #1 on TeenInk? That's just like saying, "You're close, but not there yet." How many more Voted #1s do I need to become a writer? What's the difference between the Top Voted and the published? Why would I be here but others be there?

I want to be published one day, so people can look at my writing and know that I have a lot of ideas to share in the world, that I'm not just a silent introvert who spends her day doodling on her notebook. I want the pride of my parents seeing that I am something more than a high school dreamer, a JV swimmer, a Key Club member. But to see my name - my name - printed on the pages of the magazine has been a small flame slowly dying.

What should I do? All I want is that one magazine mailed to my door, where my parents can flip it open to find their child's name on it. I can write anything - about Portland State University or what my brother got for Christmas. Just tell me what you want. Am I a bad writer? Was I not fit for this job in the first place? Should I accept it an move on?

Thank you.

j1448This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 5:24 pm
Break your rear viewing mirrors, my friend. Write for yourself and nobody else. Keep going and never put the pen down. I can sense from this letter that you are capable of greatness. Don't write with the purpose of publication, write and then think to yourself "hey, this is great. I should submit to Teen Ink!" Some other great publications for emerging writers are: Moledro Magazine, The Ember Journal, Canvas Literary Magazine and The Adroit Journal. Check them out, they are all pretty reputabl... (more »)