How to get Published?

By , Beaverton, OR

Dear Mr Editor,
I dream of the day I can officially call myself a writer. Not a high school dreamer, not another JV swimmer, not another Key Club member, but a writer. Every single article I write, I pour countless hours into it, seizing the right words, trying to make the setences sing its song for another person. I think I have finally written something groundbreaking when I hit the Submit button.

But every email I get back that says I have been published on TeenInk.com is simply another fat rejection. 

Voted #1 on TeenInk? That's just like saying, "You're close, but not there yet." How many more Voted #1s do I need to become a writer? Why would I be here but others be there?

The dream of seeing my name - my name - inked on the magazine is now a dying flame, slowly losing hope.

The only thing I want in the world is that one magazine mailed to my door, where my parents can flip it open in shock to find their child's name on it. I want the self-acheiving feeling that yes, I am capable of something in this world.

I can write about anything - about Portland State University to the socks my brother got for Christmas. Just tell me what you want.

Am I a bad writer? Was I not fit for this job in the first place?Maybe becoming a writer was just another childhood dream...

maybe I am just a high school dreamer, another JV swimmer, a Key Club member, and not a writer.

j1448This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 5:24 pm
Break your rear viewing mirrors, my friend. Write for yourself and nobody else. Keep going and never put the pen down. I can sense from this letter that you are capable of greatness. Don't write with the purpose of publication, write and then think to yourself "hey, this is great. I should submit to Teen Ink!" Some other great publications for emerging writers are: Moledro Magazine, The Ember Journal, Canvas Literary Magazine and The Adroit Journal. Check them out, they are all pretty reputabl... (more »)