Why Is It so Hard to Get Published? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I never thought of myself as a struggling writer until I joined Teen Ink. I’ve been a member for 46 months, 29 days, 5 hours, and 22 minutes. For that entire time, I’ve submitted pieces to try to get published.

So far, no dice.

I’ve heard it’s an honor to get my work published on the Internet, but I’ve had my work on the Internet since I was 13. I’m 19 now; my time for this website isn’t long, and just once, I’d like to have something published in Teen Ink magazine.

I’ve read that only the best of the best gets picked for the magazine, but why can’t what I write be the best too? Why is it so incredibly difficult to get published in Teen Ink?

Editor’s response: Hali, if your goal was to see your name in print, sending us feedback is one of the fastest ways to achieve that goal. If your passion lies in fiction or poetry, then the competition is fierce, so yes, you need to be confident, have perseverance, and submit a lot of work. So thanks for sticking with it.

TheVG This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 1 at 2:56 pm
Unfortunately, things like this take lots of time. I'm sure you'll get out there and get something published soon enough, whatever you wish that to be. I'm sure a lot of us can agree that the feeling is mutual. Here's to you getting published!

CruxClaire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 28, 2016 at 2:16 am
It's kind of arbitrary, honestly. I'm too old to write for Teen Ink now, but I had a poem published maybe 5 years back, and it's definitely not the best thing I've written, nor did it have a great reader response on the website. I think there's an element of luck. It's much easier to get published in some genres than others, though. From what I understand, short fiction and poetry are the most difficult due to the sheer volume of submissions.

ArtsyAuthor This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Because it's real life. Face it -- only the best can become rich, famous, and glorified. TeenInk is no exception. I'm not saying your writing is bad, I'm saying that it's just not good enough to meet the publishing standards. I know that feeling too, HaliBug, but each time, I feel more determined to get into the mag. Don't worry -- I'm sure your change will come.

Nated315 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:53 am
the more you write and submit each week and month the more likely to get published.... they literally have to read over 1000 submissions each month.....

Secret1237 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:57 am
In all honesty, I don't believe getting published is what makes your writing good. It's what YOU think makes your writing good. And if you don't think it's good enough, leave it alone for a while and come back to it and see if you can't make your writing better.Or find some people who are willing to read your work and have them give you an opinion or two, if you'd rather have an outside voice than you're own opinion. When I submit to Teen Ink I submit because I want my work to be seen somewhere... (more »)

L.J.Barnes. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 7, 2016 at 11:49 am
I am sorry that teen ink hasn't published anything that you've written. When I joined teen ink about a year ago, I thought that nothing I wrote would ever be published, and quite honestly I've seen really great things on this website that haven't been published. The one thing I've noticed though, reading other articles that have been published,that the themes have always been the same mutual feelings that all teens feel. Like not being good enough, growing up, fear of failure, etc. So when y... (more »)