Feedback on "Sights at a Traffic Light" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Sights at a Traffic Light"

March 1, 2016
By debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
21 articles 2 photos 14 comments

In Justus Danielsen's "Sights at a Traffic Light," Justus describes his experiences in Bangladesh as well as his encounters with Bengali people. He remembers growing up there with all the traffic, the smells of various foods, etc. He notices a Bangladesh flag and remembers the independence Bangladesh has achieved.

 

Growing up a Bengali-American, I have never had the pleasure of going and remembering a visit to my country. Reading Danielsen's piece embodied the sights that I would've seen in the capital of Dhaka, my family home in Rajshahi, etc. For example, "the hustle and bustle of bumper-to-bumper traffic." In addition, Danielsen describes the cordiality of a Bengali woman. However, Bengali culture isn't as infallible as it seems and not everybody is as hospitable as the women offering cha. Sure, Bengali women can be corteous but in order to disband this stereotype, I assure you that whatever is heard behind closed doors can be anything but.


The author's comments:

Growing up, my mom escaped from her relationship with my father and because of that, she was regarded as inferior because she did not have a husband to support her.