Rejection | Teen Ink

Rejection MAG

By Tricia Schwartz BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Tricia Schwartz BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

Everyone knows what it’s like to be rejected. It starts on the playground and follows you through life. It’s the feeling you get being picked last in gym class, not getting called back for that dream job, or being scoffed at by the object of your affection. Rejection is a seemingly unavoidable part of life.

And where did I and thousands of other teens most recently find it? That’s right, in Teen Ink magazine. Despite my many attempts, I remain unpublished. Every month my highly competitive friends and I eagerly await the new issue’s arrival. And though we would all swear our writing is positively fantastic, we have thus far been disappointed. I suppose each month we will continue to pursue the elusive Teen Ink dream and the 200 bonus points in English class it would bring. And most of us, including students all across the country, will meet our old friend: rejection.

Editor’s note: Tricia, Teen Ink gets thousands more submissions than we can fit into the magazine. Rejection can be rough, but anything that’s worth attaining is worth struggling for. Enjoy the 200 bonus points.

on Apr. 1 2012 at 11:41 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I like to think of rejection as a bittersweet occurence. I mean, yes the sting of rejection can hurt you creatively, but just think, you'll be even more motivated to create something better. 

on Apr. 1 2012 at 11:41 am

--Eleanor Roosevelt

jaymishae SILVER, Jonesboro, Arkansas

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I know the feeling. I might just have to get my english teacher to give out bonus points though.

redpanda26 SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
I LOVE this!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the first paragraph, that was really great

boklenhle GOLD said...
boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska

Our scars tell us where we have been, but do not have to dictate where we are going.

I love the article!!! Teen ink gets you 200 bounus points?! Not fair!

kelliejo19 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
I agree with early bird. haha. I totally agree!! I think it's great, but hen they don't. :(

earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Ha ha, it's funny how the story you wrote about how you NEVER get published in Teen Ink is the one that actually ends up getting published.

dreamergirly said...
on May. 20 2010 at 10:45 am
:] SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!!! Good job, im sure you will be published soon :) keep trying and dont give up!!!!!