Feedback on "The Terminator" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Terminator"

By debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

In "The Terminator" by Drew Hundley, Drew remembers being bullied in ninth grade due to his weight. He reminisces trying to become healthier and giving up because of the physical strain. Drew comes across a piece of advice in which a man in a video says “Change starts in the mind. You change your mind, you change your body. It doesn’t matter how much you can lift. The thing that matters is you’re trying, you’re eating healthy, you’re working out, you’re doing it to change yourself mentally and physically, making yourself be better.” The quote struck me as so profound because it wasn't something that simply encouraged people to exercise but it encouraged them to keep on going.

Growing up overweight, I've been told by many to exercise and each time I have given up because I felt no reason to continue. My exhaustion prevailed over my resolve and I would sink back to my old habits involving junk food and Netflix. Lately, I have been involving myself but it has been forced in order to fit myself into the perfect mold society has created. However, reading Drew's account encouraged me to be my own person all while living a healthy lifestyle. Drew makes it that the bully wasn't the reason he wanted to change; it was all him.