Maps by Olivia Su | Teen Ink

Maps by Olivia Su

December 9, 2015
By Katritridragon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Katritridragon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

At first glance, Olivia Su's poem, "Maps," seems to be an innocent piece about a boy, painting a picture of sorts, and showing it to this girl. However, at second glance, you see it. You start to see the signs, and you can see that this beautifully written piece is a story about a suicide. You can clearly see Ms. Su's feelings for the boy that she lost. With phrases like " I begged you to stay, and counted all of the reasons for you to live, reasons for you to keep breathing." and "There was nothing i could do to pull back the worn out frays of your remains." we see the emotional pain that this boy is going through, and that she is going through to see him the way he is. 

You can see that Ms. Su believes that this boy himself is a beautiful disaster of sorts. She knows what he's doing to himself, and begs him to stop it, but can't deny how beautiful it looks. "You turned it into an art," she says, describing something that shouldn't occur but does anyway. Its beautiful, but toxic, in the end leading to the end of the journey.