Living with Asperger's | Teen Ink

Living with Asperger's

November 6, 2015
By Katritridragon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Katritridragon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There is one point made in Brianna Arsenault's article, "Living With Asperger's," that I can sympethise with fully. That is the fact that she loves her brother unconditionally, and even more so that he is on the autism spectrum. In her piece, she tells the story of her brother Gabe, a child diagnosed with Asperger's, a mental "illness" on the Autism Spectrum. After reading, I honestly sympethised with her greatly. My twin brother is diagnosed as autistic. I honestly understand what she meant by every single word she said in her piece. She beautifully conveyed the point of view of someone living with a sibling on the spectrum. Despite the fact that we fight, he's still your sibling, someone who you love to death and back because you know that they're going to be there for you no matter what. I agree with her when she says that people with Autism Spectrum Disorder, or ASD, all are prodigies in their own area, because most of them are. My brother excels in math. Finally, I would like to personally thank Miss Arsenault. She has honestly helped me realize something. For a while, I wished that the ASD wasn't a part of my brother, and that it didn't exist. Of course, its not a positive thing, but she's helped me realize that despite everything, Autism is a part of my brother and who he is. I wouldn't change that for the world.