Why I Hate College Parties | Teen Ink

Why I Hate College Parties MAG

By BrunoZero SILVER, New York City, New York
BrunoZero SILVER, New York City, New York

After reading “Why I Hate College Parties” by Mary Stanton, I feel as though my mindset has changed completely. Let me explain. Mary writes about how some activities are just not for everyone, which is why she dislikes parties. After letting the message sink in, I asked myself: “Do I do the things I do because I want to, or because everyone else does them?” I didn’t immediately know the answer. This article really made me think, which is why I like it so much.

I remember many times in my life when I’ve done something I didn’t necessarily want to do just because everyone else was doing it. For example, back in seventh grade, sneaker competition was booming. Everyone wanted to have the coolest, most expensive shoes; obviously, the pressure was high. So I bought some sneakers I didn’t really like just because of the brand.

In this article, Mary does the exact opposite. Despite all the pressure, she doesn’t go to parties because she knows she doesn’t like them. After giving a college party a try, she concedes, “Although I finally opened my mind and learned to respect the party culture, I still don’t find any joy in it. It isn’t for me, and that’s okay.” This unique stance on a popular activity really stands out, which is why I think there should be more articles like this.