Feedback on Impact | Teen Ink

Feedback on Impact

November 5, 2015
By lmookai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
lmookai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What's the definition of a friend? How do you tell the difference between real and fake friends? What is true friendship? These are the thoughts that emerge from reading the solemn yet hopeful memoir, Impact, by "Sylvia."

The writer begins with memories of having recess when she was younger, stating, "I had always hated recess, everyone would group off with their friends, and I would have to withdraw to my corner." It was not always like this, however. Sylvia begins addressing matters of friendship when introducing a former best friend, Angela. Sylvia shares how though she "thirsted for companionship and acceptance," she often felt lonely, with and without her friends. Conflicted, Sylvia ended the friendship and was bullied by Angela for years, suffering without friends and having her world "crumbling to pieces."

This was not the end. Sylvia found a passion in reading that allowed her to escape the pain of being alone. She states, "I would read books and feel connected to the heroines, unlike all of the deceitful people in my real life. Reality seemed like a horrible nightmare from which I wished I could wake up." Though Sylvia has not completely recovered from her difficult past, she has matured. Though she isn't ready to trust others, she has found her identity. Though she still yearns for someone who can understand and be there for her, she states, "I am comfortable with who I am. The intensely clumsy, ditzy, and witty me is the only one that is real."