Sobering Truths | Teen Ink

Sobering Truths MAG

By mreed.2017 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
mreed.2017 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

“Sobering Truths” is a true story of a family tortured by the disease of alcoholism. The writer learned to lie about her mom’s alcohol problem and cover up for her. Denying the issue “created a fake reality,” consequently leading to the breaking apart of her family. After her mom was arrested a second time for drunk driving, the family agreed to attend Al-Anon and Alateen support groups. These meetings helped her mom realize the severity of her problem and helped the author deal with her fears about alcoholism. Six years later, the family has overcome the disease and is back together, having left the bottles and fights behind.

This article is a warning to readers who might know someone with a similar problem, and is a push to seek help for that person. It creates a sense of hope as well, showing that these problems can be addressed with the proper help if the desire to change is strong enough.

I could identify effortlessly with what the writer experienced, since I have had to deal with addiction to drugs and alcohol with family, friends, and myself. It is very easy to put the blame on yourself, whether or not you’re to blame. It’s reassuring to know that with proper support, addiction can be treated.