Feedback on "The Bhajan" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Bhajan"

By debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

In "The Bhajan" by Ujjwal Khanal, she explains how she the cultural differences between her and her grandparents aren't really different. The author finds her place in her community and expresses surprise when she finds out the bhajans are really parodies of pop songs concerning deities like Krishna and Shiva.

As a Hindu-American, "The Bhajan" hit close to home. I've been in the same place as Khanal was once with no understanding of Sanskrit. However, when I hear bhajans in Bengali, I get a feeling of belonging. Bhajans are of such a thing that they warm one's heart. Even Ujjwal says, "The words [were] voiced with honesty and experience." Seeing a passage concerning a culture which isn't vastly produced in media gives a sense of recognition and brings light upon the unseen side of a Hindu teenager.

debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
Oh, I'm so sorry! I'll change it but thanks for the comment :)

on Nov. 4 2015 at 9:59 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Thank you very much for writing this, Devashree. I am really glad you could relate to this. (I do happen to be a 'he', though).