Feedback on "Heavens" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Heavens"

By ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York
ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss

"Heavens" by Khulood Fahim is a poignant yet satisfying poem in which the author vividly reminisces about her grandmother who has passed away. She recalls her grandmother's stained hands that were a result of purple flowers, not eggplants. The violet stains are attributes that Khulhood can only apply to her grandmother, becoming the embodiment of a figure that the narrator truly admires. Even when her grandmother has left, Khulhood does not cease to forget the woman with stained hands, the woman who loved flowers, the woman who always supported her. Even when it is her own turn to leave, the writer knows she will go with the memory of her beloved grandmother.
          Although the poem captures a melancholy essence, it goes beyond the parameters of sadness to achieve a sense of understanding. Instead of simply grieving over her loss, Khulhood grants respect in memory of her grandmother by portraying the woman from her perspective. In remembering her grandmother's stained hands, Khulhood says, "but I think it's because of the flowers/violets she touches/lilacs she picks/jasmines she lays on the dining room table." These lines exemplify who the writer's grandmother was as an individual, also showing that Khulhood remembers even the slightest details about her. Venturing through her emotions, the poet manages to create a beautifully written poem that honors Khulhood's grandmother for eternity.