“No” Should Matter | Teen Ink

“No” Should Matter MAG

March 26, 2015
By Cocobean DIAMOND, Brooklyn, New York
Cocobean DIAMOND, Brooklyn, New York
70 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Of all the wonderful pieces in the April issue, “‘No’ Should Matter” was by far my favorite. It’s a personal account of the author’s experience coping after being raped. When she was assaulted, alcohol was involved, and so, until the author confided in her friend, she blamed herself for the incident. When her friend asked her if she had said no (which she had), she realized that she had been raped and that what happened was not her fault but the fault of the rapist. The reason I love this piece so much is because the reader automatically sympathizes with the writer, and the writer learns something as a person. As a result, she is now telling her story to help others in similar situations. That, I believe, is the best expression of strength, and it comes across clearly to the reader.

I also agree with the author that “no” should matter. “No” needs to stop being taken for granted – not only in the context of rape, but in life in general. “No” could stop so many horrible things from happening if saying “no” did something. If you say “no” and are disregarded, you have the right to know that it isn’t your fault, and you shouldn’t torture yourself with guilt. People deserve to be listened to, especially when they say “no,” and I think the author of “‘No’ Should Matter” gets that across to readers perfectly.